One of the newer market products that are known to influence immune system functioning is CBD. The popular wellness and therapeutic compound are extracted from cannabis plants. Some of the therapeutic properties of the compound influence the functioning of the immune system. Let us take a deeper look at how CBD can influence the functioning of our immune system.
Overview Of The Immune System
If we didn’t have an immune system, we would die an early death, as we are exposed to an endless stream of pathogens every single day. Together with an array of cells, our immune system and the organs, will work together for fighting the infections. This will ensure that we can stay healthy and active. The immune system also accounts for detecting the cells that aren’t functioning properly and eliminating them if required. If any such non-functional cells get detected, the immune system will initiate cell death. This will prevent the defective cells from multiplying and developing to tumors.
The Effect Of CBD On Our Immune System
Several studies have emphasized the immunosuppressant effects of CBD. The role of CBD as an immunosuppressant is crucial in the treatment of autoimmune diseases. These types of diseases are caused by the inability of our immune system to distinguish between foreign cells and body cells. Huntington’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and multiple sclerosis are some common autoimmune diseases. Patients are usually administered with immunosuppressant medications for treating them.
Here are some of how CBD acts as an immunosuppressant.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD can reduce the inflammatory response of the immune system. This feature of CBD comes of use in the case of autoimmune diseases.
- CBD is known to promote apoptosis of cell death.
- Cytokines are large clusters of proteins that are secreted by specific cells present in our immune system. They signal the molecules that regulate our body’s inflammatory response and white blood cell production. With the use of CBD, its secretion level can be suppressed.
- Group of cytokines called chemokine that acts as chemoattractants, leads the immune cells to the infection site for facilitating the attack of white blood cells. CBD can put down the production of chemokine.
- CBD can repress the production of T-cells.
People with a hyperactive immune system tend to be in bad health due to various autoimmune diseases. The immunosuppressant and immunomodulatory properties of CBD prove its effectiveness in handling the health issues caused by the overactivity of the immune system.